CEA Forum

Is it not cheaper to have a higher plant head temp using the gas heating rather than using the HPS to heat the crops?

Is it not cheaper to have a higher plant head temp using the gas heating rather than using the HPS to heat the crops?

Chieri Kubota

This is a good question. I always tend to think radiative heating (between cold and warm objects) is more efficient than convective/conductive heating via heating up air. But I have never tried to actually find an exact answer… while it should be answered by principles of heat transfer.

Kenneth Tran

Using gas is indeed much cheaper (typically more than 2x cheaper), on the $/MJ basis.

I think what he meant is that the HPS also has the heating side effect - not that heating is the primary purpose of HPS.

In general, yes. But HPS lamps are used first of all because they add light.
If you are wondering about using HPS lamp with little heating, versus using LED lamps with more heating, it’s a good question about what’s better, which I’m currently working on :smiley:

1 Like

Are there any updates on this topic?
We are now in the season…with more and more LEDs deployed…more and more growers will start asking this question.
I am finding that you might need to run the area 3-5 degrees F warmer. Thoughts?